What are the benefits of an irrigation system?A professionally installed sprinkler system or drip watering system offers advantages for both residential and commercial landscapes. Consider the following benefits:
- Water conservation: Water is a finite natural resource, and conserving it is critically important. This is especially true in arid regions such as the Southwest. A garden and lawn irrigation system reduces water waste by allotting pre-defined volumes of water to specific areas of the landscape. It can also reduce water evaporation by delivering water directly to the soil around the plants’ roots.
- Water bill reduction: No one wants to spend more money on water than they really have to. Since landscape irrigation can cut your water waste, it will also reduce your water bill.
- Home value improvement: Home buyers enjoy properties with unexpected amenities, such as professionally designed and installed irrigation systems. These features can boost the value of your home.
- Convenience: No one enjoys lugging around a heavy watering can or wasting time standing in the hot sun with a garden hose. An automatic irrigation system eliminates these tasks.
- Healthier landscape: A garden and lawn irrigation system delivers water exactly where it’s needed. The result is a healthy, thriving landscape that can make your home the envy of the neighborhood. Plus, by delivering water directly to the soil, rather than the foliage, an irrigation system can reduce plant diseases, such as fungi infections.
- Soil erosion prevention: Soil that is too dry is prone to erosion, particularly during Arizona’s monsoon season. On the other hand, soil that is overwatered is prone to nutrient loss. An irrigation system will prevent both of these problems by providing the exact volume of water that your plants need.
What are the types of irrigation systems?There are many types of irrigation systems used for commercial agriculture as well as for irrigating residential and commercial properties. All of these types fall into two main categories: low flow and high flow. Low flow irrigation systems include drip emitters, drip lines, and micro spray sprinklers. High flow systems include rotor, impact, bubbler, and fixed spray sprinklers. This might seem complicated, but in practice, there are only three main types of systems widely in use by homeowners. They are as follows:
- Drip irrigation: Drip irrigation systems are among the most popular and widely used. With this system, a landscaping professional will install drip lines at ground level throughout the landscape. These irrigation lines feature water emitters, which deliver water directly to the roots of plants. It is a surface watering system that is highly efficient with water conservation.
- Sprinkler irrigation: Sprinkler irrigation systems are versatile and cost-effective. They are also the polar opposite of drip irrigation systems. Rather than delivering water to the roots, sprinklers deliver water overhead. They propel water droplets across relatively long distances away from the sprinkler heads.
- Surface irrigation: This is an ancient form of irrigation, ideal for covering large swaths of land without complex technology. Essentially, it relies on the slope of the land and the pull of gravity to naturally distribute water.
What is the best irrigation system?It depends. Your terrain, landscaping goals, budget, and water conservation priorities are all factors in determining what the best irrigation system is for your particular needs. If your main priority is to reduce water waste while maintaining a healthy, thriving landscape, then a drip irrigation system is ideal. This is particularly true in the dry Southwest, where every drop counts.
However, if you have a large plot of land to cover and you are budget-conscious, then a sprinkler system might work best for you. Surface irrigation systems are also budget-friendly. Unfortunately, they aren’t generally recommended for desert regions, as they are relatively inefficient and pose the risk of soil erosion.
How can I install an irrigation system?Irrigation systems are more complicated than they might seem. Furthermore, it’s important to adjust the settings correctly to ensure every part of your landscape receives the exact amount of water it needs. This is why installing a watering system is something that is best left to the pros.
When you choose an irrigation installer, look for a company that is licensed, bonded, and insured, such as Action Yard & Tree Services. At our landscaping company, we’re proud of our A+ BBB rating and of our many rave reviews from happy customers.
Complete irrigation services are available from the landscaping pros at Action Yard & Tree Services. Our Pima County business is happy to work with homeowners and commercial property owners in Tucson and the surrounding areas. You can reach our friendly staff at (520) 829-4791 to request a quote for the installation of a new irrigation system or to request repairs for your existing system.